The beetroot has received lots of attention recently as a functional food that promotes good health. Many women and men’s magazines have been touting the benefits of beetroot powder. That caused many of my patients to ask about beetroot powder and its impacts on overall health.
What is Beetroot Powder?
Beetroot powder is made from the beetroot vegetable. It is simply beetroot in powder form.
This root vegetable is round and red, but white, yellow and striped versions are also available. It’s related to turnips, rutabagas and sugar beets.
Beetroot is often ground into powder form to make it easier to consume. Beetroot powder is added to water for a nutritious drink. It is also used in smoothies and greens drinks, sprinkled on salads and used in gravies, sauces, soups and to provide color to most any recipe.
Nutrients in Beetroot Powder
Beetroot and beetroot leaves are full of Vitamins A, B6 and C, magnesium, iron, folate, potassium, iron, calcium, proteins, and soluble fiber. Of course, beetroot is loaded with disease-fighting antioxidants.
Most of the calories in beetroot come from natural sugars. Compared to most foods that people eat, I would not and do not worry about the sugar content from beets. It is trivial.
Beetroot Powder Benefits and Uses
When patients ask if beetroot powder is good for them, we always answer with a resounding, “Yes!”
If you have issues with blood pressure, circulation, energy, endurance or erections, then beetroot powder is the supplement for you.
Some of the main benefits of beetroot powder include:
- Supports healthy blood pressure because it contains nitrates that are vasodilators. We have been very successful getting patients off blood pressure drugs using beetroot powder.
- Improves ED, endothelial dysfunction. But when we improve ED, we improve the other ED, erectile dysfunction. This leads to healthier blood vessel flow. Healthier blood vessel flow improves erections. We affectionately call beetroot powder ” The Boner Juice.” Blood flow to the clitoris is also improved, therefore improving the female sexual experience.
- Improves athletic performance by boosting your stamina and muscle blood flow and recovery.
- Regulates homocysteine as beetroot is high in betaine, converting homocysteine to methionine. High homocysteine is a risk factor for many diseases. All of my patients with MTHFR gene defects get plenty of beetroot powder.
- Improves blood sugar control.
- Tremendous antioxidant that limits free radical damage in the body.
- Supports healthy blood clotting factors.
- Excellent source of fiber, folate, magnesium, potassium, iron, and zinc.
How to Buy Beetroot Powder
There are lots of places online selling beetroot powder.
However, not all beetroot powder is equal. Some has been poisoned by pesticides sprayed on crops. Some contain fillers.
Here’s what you should look for:
- 100% organic ingredients
- No GMO’s
- No fillers, sweeteners or additives
- Glass bottle packaging to avoid toxic off-gasing from plastics
Make sure you compare the amount of beetroot powder in a bottle, as amounts vary widely amongst manufacturers.
Use of beetroot powder may turn your urine and stool somewhat pink or red. This is normal and simply reflects the coloration of the beetroot powder.
The Drs. Wolfson have carefully formulated the best quality beetroot powder available. Find it at https://shop.thedrswolfson.com/products/beetroot-powder.