Natural Treatment Remedies for Constipation
A daily bowel movement (BM) is critical for good health. Yet, so many people go once every few days or only once per week.
Some people have trouble having a daily bowel movement. Others don’t have one at all. We call this condition “constipation,” and continued constipation can be a major sign of illness. It can also create disease on its own.
Constipation means we are not getting rid of the waste products from our intestines and entire body. When we don’t poop, waste products sit in our gut leading to local disease (colon cancer) and systemic disease (heart, brain, lungs, kidney, etc.).
Sudden constipation, especially when pain is involved, could be something serious. But if a doctor has determined it is nothing serious or constipation has been present for a long time, let’s fix this issue.
What Causes Constipation?
Constipation is usually the result of poor nutrition and poor hydration.
Constipation can also be caused by:
- Prescription medications (especially narcotics, antidepressants and iron pills)
- Poor nutrition and low fiber intake
- Colon cancer
- Lack of physical activity
- Underactive thyroid
- Vertebral subluxation
How to Naturally Cure Constipation
Take these steps:
- Eat a Paleo Diet. Your body was engineered for optimal performance with Paleo foods. Learn more about a Paleo diet.
- Eat lots of organic vegetables, especially the avocado. It’s loaded with magnesium, potassium and fiber – three things that promote good gut health and bowel movements. Don’t eat dairy or grains. These act the glue to your intestines and contribute to constipation.
- Drink half your body water in ounces of quality water every day. As an example, if you weigh 180 lbs., you should drink about 90 ounces of water each day.
- Get adjusted by a Doctor of Chiropractic (a chiropractor). Good gut health regulates healthy bowel movements. The gut is controlled by the autonomic nervous system. Chiropractors are expert at aligning the autonomic nervous system for optimal performance. Many people report improved bowel movements after their first chiropractic adjustment. From babies to adults, chiropractic gets things moving.
- Get your blood tested by a holistic physician. You want to make sure there is not a physical ailment causing the constipation. Most people are low in intra-cellular magnesium. Typical doctors just check blood magnesium. You need to know what is inside the cell. That is where the action is!
- Get active. Daily activity such as walking, hiking and yoga can promote good gut health.
- Use supplements. Quality nutritional supplements can help those with constipation. Our Foundation Five contains our multivitamin, loaded with essential nutrients for gut health. Our Gut Flora probiotics will help restore the beneficial bacteria to your gut. All cells need omega-3. Digestive enzymes improve bowel health. Daily Greens contains fiber, nutrients, and probiotics. In addition to our Foundation 5, here are a few things to add:
- Magnesium Glycinate – I usually ask people to take this product every night. Start with two caps and advance as needed by one cap nightly until you awake to diarrhea. Then back off by a cap. Find the correct dosing for you. You should be able to cut back as your diet improves.
- Berbe – Our berberine product modifies gut flora and will get your pooper back on track.
- Super C – Vitamin C has a laxative effect along with so many other benefits. Give it a try.