Natural Treatment Remedies for Fatigue
Most of us know what it’s like to feel tired. But when you are constantly suffering from a lack of energy and fatigue, it’s time to get some answers.
You are not alone. Millions of people are tired of being tired…and they want a solution. We will teach you that the answer is not at the bottom of a prescription pill bottle. There is a cause for fatigue. Let’s find it together.
What Causes Fatigue?
Consider the catastrophic problems first. Is there a life-threatening issue? My first rule of thumb when judging the severity of a complaint is the duration someone has suffered from the symptoms. For any diagnosis or complaint, my level of concern is much greater if they have had the symptoms for three weeks as opposed to three years. There is safety in time (for every health condition).
Some of the more serious medical conditions that can cause fatigue include:
- Diabetes – Diabetes is increasing in both adults and children at alarming rates and can play a huge role in fatigue.
- Hypothyroidism – A slow or underactive thyroid can cause fatigue. The thyroid gland is a small organ at the front of your neck. It releases a hormone responsible for energy in the body. Thousands of books and articles have been written about the thyroid and many factors go into the health of this gland. Too often, thyroid treatment is seen as the cure-all for symptoms of fatigue. Unfortunately, this method alone is rarely successful. You see, there is a cause for thyroid dysfunction. If you fix the cause, the thyroid can heal itself. It is simple. Just tossing out prescriptions for thyroid drugs or supplements is not enough. We can do better. Read on and follow the lifestyle recommendations in this post, our website, and The Paleo Cardiologist book.
- Heart disease – If a once easy activity becomes hard – like walking your dog – it may be a sign of heart disease.
- Sleep apnea – This is a condition when breathing stops during snoring. It can result in low oxygen levels and often leads to fatigue and other medical issues.
- Anemia – This lack of red blood cells can be caused by a variety of conditions.
- Depression – One of the major symptoms of depression for most is a feeling of anxiety and fatigue.
Some equal as serious but not immediately medically threatening causes of fatigue include:
- Lack of sleep – It is quite simple. If you are not sleeping well, chances are you are going to feel tired and exhausted the next day. Lack of sleep is the #1 cause of fatigue.
- Food – Processed foods (we call it “junk food”) and fast food will zap your energy. Sugar taxes the thyroid and adrenals. Same with caffeine. All result in fatigue.
- Environmental pollutants – Heavy metals and other man-made pollutants lead to a variety of symptoms including zapped energy and fatigue. EMF exposure from WiFi, cell towers and smart meters can cause fatigue.
- Dental issues – Root canals and other chronic dental infections can lead to many symptoms including fatigue.
- Infections – if your immune system is on overdrive, overwhelming fatigue will set in.
- Stress – Stress eventually leads to the feeling of “wired and tired.” Does that sound like you? Constantly fatigued, yet can’t fall asleep.
Natural Ways to Treat Fatigue
- Get your blood tested – See a holistic doctor and get your blood tested. You want to rule out major life-threatening issues. Have your holistic doctor check for adrenal issues. Use the power of the most extensive testing available to determine the cause.
- Get adequate, quality sleep – Start by going to bed earlier. Our ancestors went to bed with the sundown and awoke with the sunrise. Sadly, the average time adults go to sleep is midnight. This is a major problem. You need 8-9 hours of quality sleep each day. I have a whole chapter on sleep in my book. Whatever time you go to bed currently, try hitting the sack an hour earlier.
- Get sunshine – The energy from the sun will recharge all your cells. This rejuvenates and heals your body, and puts it in a state conducive to rest.
- Avoid electronics after sundown – Devices like tablets and smartphones have been shown to interfere with quality sleep. Avoid them after sundown.
- Eat the right foods – Your body was engineered to eat organic, Paleo foods. These foods contain no gluten, no sugar, no pesticides, no antibiotics and no artificial ingredients. By following the diet of our ancestors, fatigue often resolves. I have seen this in patients many times. These foods also help you maintain your ideal weight. Feed the body the fuel it needs to get the job done. It doesn’t take a cardiologist to tell you that organic, whole foods will put the spring in your step and processed junk and fast food will zap your energy.
- Remove environmental pollutants from your home – This will help strengthen your immune system and give you more energy. Stop using air fresheners and carpet deodorants. They destroy health and create fatigue. Make sure you are using natural laundry products, natural personal care products, and sleeping on an organic mattress and not some chemical bomb that we call a traditional mattress. Here’s a list of the things we use in our household. Look around your house for other things that trigger the immune system and get rid of them. Consider an air purifier from Austin Air.
- Lower stress – You must get the stress out of your life OR find ways to deal with it better. I have a chapter in my book called One Nation Under Prozac. I find that when you do the basics (Paleo/Sleep/Sun), stressful situations become more manageable. Yoga and meditation work wonders. Supplements that improve your stress response often make you sleep better. This ultimately can resolve fatigue.
- Get adjusted- Spinal re-alignment is what you need to get your energy back and rid yourself of fatigue for good. Follow the plan of your chiropractor, but we recommend getting adjusted every week or every other week.
- Take nutritional supplements – Nutritional supplements could help you recover lost energy. Here are a few suggestions to go along with our Foundation 5 products:
- Cardio Q – This supplement is Co Q 10. Often called the “Energy Vitamin”, it is not a vitamin, but a necessary factor in how we make energy at the cellular level. If our cells are not making enough energy, symptoms like fatigue and tired are often the result. Cardio Q is Co Q 10 in its most active form, ubiquinol. It is very effective at raising Co Q 10 levels and our patients love it. You will too.
- Detoxicore – Imagine combining some of the best nutrients for detoxification into one product. Detoxicore is it. The burden from environmental pollutants is too much for our bodies. We need support and Detoxicore can provide that support. Get the toxins out and reclaim your energy and vigor.
- Super B – The B vitamins are a group of nutrients that perform an extensive list of housekeeping duties in your body. The scientific literature is very clear on the benefits of the B’s. Our Super B contains all the B’s in a form that gets the job done. So many people are deficient in the B vitamins leading to a wide range of symptoms including low energy, fatigue, and tiredness.
- Heart Beet – Organic beetroot powder to put the get the spring back in your step. I drink this daily. Loaded with vitamin, minerals, and phytonutrients to boost nitric oxide. This is a good thing.