Natural Treatment Remedies for Varicose Veins
Varicose veins are enlarged veins, often twisted, near the surface of the skin. They are most common in women, and often on the legs and ankles.
Varicose veins aren’t dangerous, although they can cause pain and discomfort in some people. They are typically a cosmetic issue. Some women feel they are unsightly and want to do something about it.
What Causes Varicose Veins?
Your legs have one-way valves to keep blood flowing up to your heart. When these valves don’t work well, blood collects in the legs, pressure builds up, and veins weaken while becoming large and twisted. These are called varicosities.
Varicose veins typically worsen with age and are more common in women during pregnancy and with multiple children. If you are overweight, or stand for long periods of time, you too could develop varicose veins.
Natural Treatment Options for Varicose Veins
Many of you have seen advertisements for laser and other procedures to remove varicose veins. Performed by vascular surgeons, this is a BIG business.
We however recommend more conservative and less invasive measures as a better way to start and prevent additional varicose veins from forming.
To treat varicose veins, we recommend keeping your legs elevated and wearing compression stockings. Get compression stockings online, at pharmacies or at medical supply stores. Only buy the knee-high versions. Thigh-high stockings do not provide any additional support and only cost more (plus, patients report that they’re a real hassle).
It’s also best to avoid long periods of sitting or standing, and stay busy with outdoor physical activities so you are getting plenty of exercise.
How to Prevent Varicose Veins
When it comes to vein health, here are some ways to keep those pipes flowing:
- Eat organic, Paleo foods. Diet contributes to everything. Paleo is the nutrition plan followed by our ancestors. Make sure you follow it for optimal health. It makes sense that organic veggies, wild seafood loaded with omega-3, and pastured animal foods are likely to prevent varicose veins. Certainly, Paleo will perform better than the Standard American Diet (SAD) of fast food, soda pop, and ice cream. Paleo will help you achieve and maintain your ideal weight.
- Stay hydrated with quality water. You should drink half of your weight in ounces each day.
- Get sunshine. The sun energizes everything, including the lining of your arteries and veins. Embrace the sun on your legs and prevent varicose veins. We think the sun can reverse varicose veins all by itself.
- Sleep your way to total body health. Sleep with the sundown and awake to the sunrise. Proper rest rejuvenates the body.
- Large veins are influenced by the brain and peripheral nerves. A visit to your chiropractor is just what the doctor ordered for brain and nerve health.
In addition to our Foundation 5, here are some natural nutritional supplements to support healthy vein function.