Shepherd’s Pie with Sweet Potato- Wolfson Style
Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie
Try out this holiday recipe for an old-time favorite. Our kids love it. Your family will too.
As always, The Drs. Wolfson use only organic ingredients.
-1 lb. organic, grass-fed ground beef
-1 large, organic yellow onion, chopped
-4 large, organic carrots, chopped
-5 organic cloves of garlic, minced- garlic is critical for health
-1 c. organic mushrooms, chopped
-1 c. organic cauliflower, chopped
-1 tsp. rosemary, minced (rosemary is one of top spices for heart health)
-1/2 tsp. oregano, minced ( excellent review on oregano)
-1 tsp. thyme, minced (read more about health benefits of thyme)
-1/2 tsp. sea salt or pink himalayan salt
-1/2 tsp. black pepper
-2 tbsp. organic avocado oil or olive oil ( try 1 tbsp. of black cumin seed oil if you have it)
Potato Topping ingredients-
-3 cups organic sweet potatoes (or regular potatoes) chopped then pureed
-½ c. organic beef broth
-1 tbsp. organic coconut oil (glass jar)
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add in the chopped potatoes. Cook until tender yet still firm (10-15 minutes). Drain and mash. Use an electric mixer if desired. Add in the coconut oil, 2 tbsp. beef broth. Add sea salt to taste, if desired. Set aside.
- Bring a large saucepan to medium heat. Add avocado oil (or any cooking oil or fat you prefer). Add in your onion and spices, salt, and pepper. Cook for about 2-3 minutes or until onions become
- Add ground beef and cook over medium heat until browned and done. Continue to stir and chop (separate into small beef pieces).
- Once beef is browned, add in the carrots and cauliflower. Cook until carrots and cauliflower begin to soften about 5-8 minutes longer. As needed, add in some of the beef broth so that vegetables have some liquid to cook in.
- Grease a baking dish or pie pan with coconut oil. Add in your beef and veggie mixture layer on the bottom. Then place the sweet potato mashed mixture on top of this. Be sure to spread it evenly over the beef mixture.
- Bake at 425 degrees in a preheated for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve hot or at room temp.
Send us your version and pictures.